15 Apr 2016

#atozchallenge M is for Milestones

Today I'm continuing with the A-Z Blogging Challenge! The aim is to write a post for every day of the month except for Sundays, with each post representing a different letter of the alphabet. This year, since I've just become a mum for the first time, my theme is: 'an A-Z of Newborn Care'. I'll be talking about all the highs and lows of parenting, sharing things that have been useful for me and posting some cute pictures.

For the letter 'M' I have chosen to talk about Milestones.  In the first year, babies change so much and achieve so many milestones. Most parents eagerly await their baby's first smile, the first time they sleep through the night or sit up unsupported.

Here is a brief guide to which milestones babies normally achieve in the first six months:

My baby is now 15 weeks old and so far she isn't rolling over or showing much interest at toys, but she will bat at them occasionally. She started smiling at exactly six weeks old and is just beginning to chuckle and giggle. She slept through the night a few weeks ago but doesn't do it consistently yet.


Leona at 6 weeks old


I think it's easy for parents to worry about their baby's development. Social media allows us to see whenever our friends babies hit each milestone and we can start to worry if our baby isn't that advanced yet. But we've got to remember that it's not a competition. Every baby is different and will develop at his or her own rate. The milestone guidelines are generally very loose, so it's best not to stress about it and have faith that your baby will get there when he or she is ready. After all, they are only tiny for a little time so don't wish it away! However, if you are genuinely concerned about your baby's development, make sure you talk to your GP, health visitor or pediatrician.

For some ideas on how to record baby milestones, check out my previous post about keepsakes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!