14 Apr 2016

#atozchallenge L is for Lullabies

Today I'm continuing with the A-Z Blogging Challenge! The aim is to write a post for every day of the month except for Sundays, with each post representing a different letter of the alphabet. This year, since I've just become a mum for the first time, my theme is: 'an A-Z of Newborn Care'. I'll be talking about all the highs and lows of parenting, sharing things that have been useful for me and posting some cute pictures.

For the letter 'L' I have chosen to talk about Lullabies. 

I sing to my baby ALL.THE.TIME. I was prone to singing around the house, especially when hoovering and showering, even before she was born, so it's not really surprising. Today I'm going to share with you some of my favourite lullabies that help to get my little one off to sleep and what they mean to me.



My Favourite Lullabies

Click on the song titles to get the lyrics.

Go to Sleep my Baby
There are lots of different versions of this, but the one I sing is:

Go to sleep my baby,
Close your pretty eyes,
Angels up above you,
Looking at you baby [or child's name] from the skies.

Great big moon a-shining,
Stars begin to peep,
It's time for little girls [or boys] like [child's name]
To go to sleep.

Close your pretty eyes and go to sleep.





The Second Star to the Right (Peter Pan)
This always reminds me of my childhood and makes me very nostalgic.

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes (Cindarella)
I really like the positive lyrics in this one.

I Have a Dream (ABBA)
This is a family favourite that my Dad used to sing to me when I was a baby, then we used to sing it to my little brother and sister together and now I sing it to my daughter.

Hushabye Mountain (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
This is another one that my Dad liked to sing. It's very comforting.

Feed the Birds (Mary Poppins)
My mum used to sing this to me so often! I've always liked it.

Stay Awake (Mary Poppins)
This is a great bit of reverse psychology and perhaps has the sleepiest tune and lyrics ever. I can't even sing it the whole way through without yawning.

The Japanese Sandman
This is another one that my Mum used to sing and has lovely lyrics.

Edelweiss (The Sound of Music)
This is a beautiful, simple song with a lovely tune.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow (The Wizard of Oz)
An absoloute classic! Beautiful lyrics and melody.

Vespers (A.A Milne/Vera Lynn)
Both my Nanny and Mum used to sing this to me. It always reminds me of my Nanny who was so special to me, especially the lines:

If I open my eyes just a little bit more,
I can see Nanny's dressing gown on the door,
It's a beautiful blue, but it hasn't a hood.
God bless Nanny and make her good.

When You Wish Upon a Star (Pinocchio).
This is another wonderful Disney classic with a really uplifting message.


Below is my Lullabies playlist so you can listen to the tracks above and lots more that I've collected.
I hope you enjoy it!





What are your favourite lullabies?


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!