17 Feb 2014

Preparing for the A-Z Blogging Challenge-Vote in my Poll!

What is the A-Z Blogging Challenge?

Surely you've heard of the A-Z Blogging Challenge? No? Well, it's a blogfest that takes place every April. The challenge is to write a post for every day of the month except for Sundays, with each post representing a different letter of the alphabet. You can find out more here.

It's a great event to take part in if you want to stretch yourself to blog around a theme and get back into a habit of regular posting. It's also a fantastic opportunity to meet other bloggers and grow the audience of your blog. Most participants find they have an increase in followers and commenters during the challenge and some make life-long blogging buddies. The challenge grows every year and so far there are around 760 blogs taking part this April.


If you're smart and schedule your posts before hand, it doesn't have to be too taxing either. You can have your posts set up and ready to go in advance so that come April you can enjoy visiting other blogs and joining in with twitter chats and other fun events.

I highly recommend the challenge to any blogger, whatever your theme!

How do I get involved?

1) Sign up with the linky here.
2) Check out the list of co-hosts and helpers and consider adding their blogs to your feed.
3) Get to know your fellow participants by following their blogs and adding them on social media. Add your details too, so people can find you.
4) Consider the theme you will be blogging around for the challenge. Read up on the benefits of themes. Consider signing up for the A-Z Challenge Theme Reveal on March 21st.
5) Start preparing your posts! I normally start writing mine quite early and scheduling them to post on the correct days. This saves me a lot of time and stress later on, so that when the challenge starts I can spend more time engaging with other bloggers.

Vote for my Theme!

Last year my A-Z theme was Elements and features of speculative fiction and entertainment, so I got to write about all kinds of mythological creatures and sci-fi technology. For this year, I've got a few ideas but haven't settled on anything solid yet.

Here are my possible themes:
  • Colour symbolism-I could do an A-Z of colours and their symbolic meanings in art and literature. 
  • Great Britain-I'm a British chick who doesn't often show her pride for her country. I would blog about my favourite British books, TV shows, actors, comedians, foods (and recipes), music, customs, fashion and so on.
  • Wedding planning-I'm getting married on May 3rd so will be busy planning throughout April. I thought I could post about the artsy and crafty side of planning, without giving too much away for my guests.  
  • Animals-I love animals and would enjoy talking about different species and relating them to books.
  • Music-I'd talk about my favourite bands and compile themed playlists for each day eg. A is for Angry songs, B is for Ballads etc.

    Now I need your help to decide which one is best! Please vote for your favourite theme below and on March 21st I will announce the winner as part of the A-Z Challenge Theme Reveal.



    15 comments :

    1. Looks like fun! Sharing...

      ReplyDelete
    2. This sounds like an awesome challenge! Of course, being a Yank, I requested A-Z of Great Britain! ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I was leaning towards Great Britain because it would create a nice thread between "hometown" themes since my fellow A-to-Z Co-Host and Swedish blogger Tina at Life is Good is doing her theme on Swedish traditions. In the end, however, I decided to vote for Wedding Planning because such a theme would be unique to you, in a sense that no one else would have that exact same thing, which gives you an advantage of creating blog content that is much different than other participants in the challenge.

      Also, I'm all for consolidation where possible and I figure that if you're already planning a wedding, then you could kill two birds with one stone without having to redirect your attention away from your bridal plans. Either way you go...my top votes are for Britain and the Wedding.

      ~Nicole
      2014 #atozchallenge Co-Host
      www.madlabpost.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. Great post! :) Welcome to A to Z, and the theme reveal!
      Full disclosure: I voted for color symbolism, because I am also doing a color-related theme, and I am excited that someone else is also doing things with colors! ;)
      Whatever you decide, I'm looking forward to reading your posts!
      Csenge @TarkabarkaHolgy (#TeamDamyanti)
      http://multicoloreddiary.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. Another vote for Britain since I also would love to learn more about it!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Nice post and creativity for this challenge. The choice will of course be yours in the end, but look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Wow! You have lots of options for the themes! Though I have voted for colour symbolism, all the other themes are equally interesting. I am yet to finalize mine!! Looking forward to read you this April! Cheers :)

      ReplyDelete
    8. I'm no help to you because I think all five are great themes - I do love a bit of symbolism, I can imagine the significance of colour being attached to all the other themes too - all the best

      ReplyDelete
    9. I am participating in the A-Z challenge as well and am very excited to do so! I would love to learn more about Great Britain as I have never been there, but have always wanted to go.

      ReplyDelete
    10. i voted for wedding because there's cake!

      ReplyDelete
    11. They all sound great, Tizzy, but I did manage, after very careful consideration, to come up with a favorite: colors and their significance. Symbolism of all kinds fascinates me, so perhaps I'm biased ;) In any case, I hope you'll blog about all of these eventually, regardless of what you choose for this A-to-Z--and join the Theme Reveal hop to tell us what you chose on March 21st!

      Guilie @ A Hop Within A Hop: The A-Z Theme Reveal!

      ReplyDelete
    12. I seem to be the only one to have voted for animals so far. Never mind, I'm sure whichever you choose, it'll be great. I shall look forward to learning on 21st March, which you have settled on.
      Incidentally, the A-Z theme on my blog, "A storey of stories" at http://keithedgar.channing.info, won't be about animals, either!

      ReplyDelete
    13. All 5 are great for challenge themes Tizzy. But I chose colour symbolism. It's something different.
      Last year I had an interactive theme which worked well, so I'm going in a similar direction this year. Bloggers will be able to play along.
      Writer In Transit

      ReplyDelete
    14. Well, I voted for Britain as I'm a Brit! More patriotism needed :) Great ideas, Tizzy - good luck with the one that's picked!

      Jemima #TeamDamyanti

      ReplyDelete
    15. Oo yay! I voted for Great Britain! :)

      Seems to be in the lead.

      anna @ Deeply Shallow

      ReplyDelete

    I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!