11 Dec 2010

Harry Potter Blogfest!


***Updated***
Today, as you might have heard, Michael over at In Time is hosting a Harry Potter blogfest! There were 26 of us taking part last time I checked, and we've all been asked to write a scene in which we interact with any characters from Harry Potter. It has to be set at Christmas and be 500 words or less. Me being me, I didn't start my entry until this morning *guilty face*. It was about 1,200 words originally, and then I posted a version at 791 words, but Michael asked to see a condensed version, so I have tried very hard to cut it down, and now it stands at 499 words. If you're interested you can read the full length, unedited version here. But here's the short version:

An Extra Place at the Table

 “Don’t look so nervous,” Fred laughed. “What’s the worst that could happen?” 

What a question for someone with no idea how wizards celebrated Christmas. What if they expected me to engage in some strange magical game that I wasn’t prepared for? What if I made some huge faux pas over dinner? 

A few seconds later the door was opened by a beautiful woman with dark skin and striking eyes.
“Fred!” she beamed, hugging him. “And you must be Annie. Welcome to our home.” 

 “Thank you, Mrs. Weasley.”

“Please, call me Angelina.” 

“Freddie!” Fred was nearly bowled over by a little girl with coffee coloured skin and freckles.

 “This is my little sister, Roxanne” he explained, prising her away from him.

“It’s Roxie” she corrected, scowling at him. She led me through to the kitchen where there was a colourful clock on the mantelpiece that was singing Christmas carols, and a huge Christmas tree that seemed to be dancing along. Fred was trying to wrestle a present from it’s branches but it was putting up a good fight. 

“Stop that and go and call your father,” Mrs. Weasley chided. 

Fred disappeared into the hall, yelling “Dad, dinner’s ready, come on!” I could hear muffled bangs and squeaks coming from upstairs.

 “He’s probably testing more inventions for Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes” Mrs. Weasley sighed. A few moments later, a lanky man with flame red hair appeared at the door, covered in soot.

“Oh hello there, you must be Fred’s girlfriend,” he grinned.

“Dad!” 

“He’s always sending us gushing owls about you,” Mr. Weasley continued, ignoring his sons desperate pleas. I could feel my cheeks glowing like Rudolph’s nose.

“That’s enough teasing, George!” Mrs. Weasley scolded.
As Mr. Weasley turned his head to look at her, I had to suppress a gasp. There was a large dark hole in the side of his head, right where his ear should have been. To my horror he had seen me staring.

“Oh this?” he shrugged. “Had it cursed off a long time ago. One of my many battle wounds,” he said proudly. 

 “Are we waiting for somebody?” I whispered to Fred. There were only five of us here, but the table seemed to be set with six places. 

Mr. Weasley chuckled. “It’s alright, Annie,” he said warmly. “I used to have a twin brother once. Fred here was named after him. He died in the Battle of Hogwarts, and we always set an extra place at the table at Christmas time, in honour of him.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know.” 

 “Yeah Dad and his brother were real heroes. They fought alongside Harry Potter loads of times. And my Uncle Ron is Harry Potter’s best friend”.

“Wow,” I said, but that didn’t quite do it justice.  Even a muggle-born like me had heard of Harry Potter and the Battle of Hogwarts. I had a feeling that the Weasleys were a very special family indeed, and I couldn’t wait to find out more about them.



1 comment :

  1. Well written, kind of sad by the end. But I really enjoyed reading the piece.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!