25 Jul 2014

Self-Esteem Challenge Day 7: Caring What Others Think

Today is Day 7 of the Self-Esteem Challenge, originally from Better than Dark Chocolate. It's a series of questions and prompts to get you thinking about your good qualities and things that make you happy or proud. See my introductory post for more info.

Do you think you care too much what others think? If so how can you change that?

At times I do care a lot about what others think of me. I have a massive guilt-complex, and always worry that I've not done enough to help people or make them happy. For example, sometimes I'll spend a lot more on a birthday present than I can actually afford and then still worry that it won't be good enough and they'll think that I don't care about them. I also worry a lot about my appearance and can be paranoid that people are thinking I'm fat and ugly. I dwell on embarrassing incidents like tripping over and saying the wrong thing and cringe thinking about how others must perceive me.




But I'm trying to combat this by thinking more rationally- for example most people don't care what is spent on them and just appreciate the thought. Most people have body issues and insecurities and are probably thinking more about themselves rather than scrutinizing me. Most people will forget the embarrassing mishaps that others make fairly quickly, but they'll remember and cringe at their own. Basically when I get worked up I just remind myself that we're all human and nobody is perfectly composed and confident-we all have our issues and most people are not going to judge me for being me. Those that do aren't worth my time anyway!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!