16 Feb 2014

Book Blogger Love-a-Thon Mini Challenge 5: Letter to Myself

The fifth mini challenge of the 2014 Book Blogger Love-a-Thon is to write a letter to yourself. You can either write to your younger blogging/writing self or to your future blogging/writing self.

I've decided to go for the second option.



Dear future blogging/writing self,
                                               I hope you're still making time for blogging and writing. I know that sometimes life can get in the way, and I expect in the future you'll have even more work and family commitments. But you must remember to find time for yourself and work on what you love. Sure, you love watching TV and surfing the net too, but you know that blogging and writing are hobbies that really feed your mind and allow you to express yourself. I know this is important to you.

In a similar vein, I hope you're persevering with your writing projects and that you haven't given up on ideas that you were once excited about. Writing is a long and tiring process sometimes, but that's okay. You just have to stick it out until you get the words on paper. It will be worth it. If you've finished at least one novel by now, I'll be really proud of you. I know you can do it if you decide to commit. Otherwise you'll be like Brian from Family Guy forever:


"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice little story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protagonist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? No, no, you deserve some time off."('Brian the Bachelor', Family Guy season 4) 

You really don't want that.


As far as blogging goes, it really doesn't matter if you don't have a zillion followers, or if your design is out-dated and you only get a few comments every now and again. What matters is that you continue to post, because you love it. And when you post, you write original, quality stuff-book reviews, poetry, reflections, recipes and so on. You engage with other bloggers through commenting and sharing the blogger love. That's why you started blogging in the first place-to get involved with a writing and book-loving community. It's the same with your creative writing. I don't care if you don't get anything published or no one ever reads your work. The important thing is that you keep writing, because however terrible you think you are, you're still a writer. Never forget that. 

What would you say to your past or future creative self?


5 comments :

  1. I love this! I especially needed to read this letter, because while I am good with keeping up with my blogging, I am NOT good about continuously writing. And like you said, I'm a writer, whether what I write is bad or good or never gets published or gets a great book deal...I'm still a writer and I need to continue to write on a regular basis. Thanks so much--I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful letter! It is full of great advice. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this! I have started writing I think three novels now and finished zero. I start something and then read a book that is similar and decide mine was stupid and then give up. When I say similar I mean the way Matched and Divergent are similar, they are in the same genre. I am always looking for an excuse to not write out my ideas. I need to persevere! Perhaps this newest idea will get to see more than 5 chapters??

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely letter, the part from Family Guy made me laugh :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful letter! I hope you keep on reading, blogging and writing, as it feels like these are things you do just for you. Everyone needs something that's just "theirs", you know?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!