31 Mar 2012

Latest Nerd Obsessions: Pinterest and Polyvore


One reason I've been absent is that I have a new nerd obsession that has been taking up A LOT of my time: Pinterest. If you haven't heard of it, it's a kind of social networking site where you can post pictures of inspiring things that you see on the internet, and pin them to your own virtual corkboards according to theme. There are loads of craft tutorials, funny pictures and ecards, gift ideas, style inspiration, unique home designs, beauty ideas, recipes, wedding ideas and other creative things. For someone like me, who loves aving a visual medium to display and share ideas, it is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. I have spent far too many hours this month obsessively staring at pictures of unusual bookcases. So while I would definately recommend this website to like-minded individuals, I suggest you use with caution as it has the potential to take over your life. My profile can be found here.


A site that goes hand in hand with Pinterest, is Polyvore. Unlike Pinterest it's been around for some time, but I've only just gotten into it. It's a fashion design site where you can 'clip' pictures of clothes and fashion accessories from the internet to create collages of outfit designs. It's so much fun to do and also a really easy way of shopping for a specific clothing item without trawling through hundreds of sites. Now I'm definately no style icon and I'm generally not that interested in fashion, but this site has me hooked. I'm enjoying creating unusual outfits based on bizarre themes and mixing different colours. I've even designed some outfits based on different book covers such as The Hunger Games, Everneath and Alice in Wonderland. Once I've finished a set I normally clip it to Pinterest as well.   Click here if you want to see my other designs.

Anyone else on Pinterest or Polyvore? If so I'd love to hear what you think and please feel free to follow me/friend request me and share a link to your profile below so I can follow you :)

4 comments :

  1. I love Pinterest (just followed you there), but have not heard of Polyvore. It sounds way cool, and like I may lose a week if I ever sign on. :0)
    Your Weasley brother poster on pinterest made me LOL big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've avoided Pinterest because I know my precious little free time would get sucked up by it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now following you on pinterest. I don't pin a lot because of the issues with people pinning things and not having permission to use the photos, but LOVE looking through the boards.

    Never heard of Polyvore, which is sad since this is the exact sort of thing I did weekly when going to fashion design school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the COOL kids are doing Pinterest. *sigh* Not me. haha. I just haven't had time to check into it.

    I'm a new follower from the IWSG. Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my readers think so please leave a comment. I reply to comments in the thread itself and not by email, but if you want notification when I reply, please tick 'notify me' underneath the comment box. Thanks!